Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Queen Elizabeth I

Our class discussion and lecture today was about the reign of Elizabeth I and the so-called Elizabethan Settlement of 1558-1563.  This was the time that England came to a compromise over the matter of religion and created the Anglican Church.  We talked about how Elizabeth came to power at the age of 25 and ruled until she was 69 years old.  Additional topics included Elizabethan government, William Cecil (her main advisor), relations with the French and Spanish, Puritans, and the Spanish Armada of 1588.

What is amazing about this class is that after chatting about something like this you can go out and explore history directly-- for example, Ruth, Ericka, and I visited Westminster Abbey again this afternoon, visiting Elizabeth's tomb and then enjoying an Evensong service that comes from The Book of Common Prayer which was promulgated in its final form in 1560 as part of the Elizabethan Settlement.

Many in our class worked in the British Library today, doing research and writing on their individual paper topics.  Most in the class now have library cards to Cambridge University Library and the British Library.  Another group did something exciting: They visited a Harry Potter exhibit, completing their tour of Harry Potter sites in England.  I also made a fun trip to the London Transport Museum, which has a truly amazing series of exhibits related to public transport in London since the late 1700s.  This includes horse drawn vehicles, trains, the Tube, buses, taxis, and some autos.  It is a very hands-on museum, with interesting displays about the various vehicles and special topics like the design of the Tube maps and logos, and how Londoners survived The Blitz in the Underground.  My wife and son really enjoyed this museum years ago, and visiting it made me think of them too!  (I'll be home in a few days, Kim!)

The students in this class are truly amazing-- they are all so smart and engaged with this content, and are learning a lot about living in Europe, as well as the ins-and-outs of Tudor England.  I am very proud to be their teacher on this trip--

Here are some photos!

Queen Elizabeth I.  This queen was famous for carefully controlling her image and her portraits.

William Cecil Portrait, National Portrait Gallery-- this man was Elizabeth's closest advisor during the first decades of her reign.  He was created Baron Burghley in 1571, and was a skillful diplomat and proponent of the Elizabethan Settlement, which brought the Anglican faith to England.

Mary Queen of Scots portrait in the National Portrait Gallery.  This Mary was a Scottish rival to Elizabeth, and also the mother of James I, who would rule England and Scotland after Elizabeth's death in 1603.

 Queen Bonnie and King Thomas before a feast at Hampton Court Palace, 1/28/2013.
 

Brenden Cohen at Windsor Castle, 1/26/2013.


Mike H.

No comments:

Post a Comment