As Luke notes so skillfully in the following post, our class visited Chateau Fontainebleau today, a day-trip outside of Paris which allowed us to see the countryside and life in smaller towns, as well as one of early modern Europe's truly impressive royal residences.
Many think of Versailles when they think of French kings hanging out in their glory, but in the early modern period (1450-1650), Chateau Fontainebleau offered French rulers the most welcome respite from Paris and their troubles when they wanted to get away from it all. Here they practiced a most aristocratic pastime: they hunted for deer, wild boar, rabbits, fowl, and other game on the extensive grounds and nearby forest.
Francis I, a great rival of Henry VIII, built up Fontainebleau and invited Renaissance artists from Italy to decorate the residence and dramatically move forward the Renaissance in France. One of these artists was Leonardo da Vinci, who painted the Mona Lisa for Francis I, and the painting was kept here with paintings by Raphael and others. Our class read an interesting article related to Francis and the Renaissance in Fontainebleau, and Gabrielle, our skilled guide, showed us the residence and grounds, which was also used by Napoleon I until he resigned his office after the defeat at Waterloo.
Henry VIII was never able to get the better of Francis I, and exhausted his father's treasury (plus the money that he made by selling church properties) trying to defeat Francis and regain lost territory in France. The two men also jousted and wrestled with one another, and apparently Henry VIII was able to hold his own against the 6'4" Francis I, at least in hand-to-hand combat.
To begin my daily photos, I wanted to show Thomas, Randall, and Brendan with Prince Fielder in the Louvre yesterday. (I don't yet have Jon's photo yet, who got this started!) Here are the first three, enjoying their moments of fame:
And here are a selection of my photos from Fontainebleau:
This group photo outside shows two Frenchmen (on the right) who enjoyed us and wanted to crash the photo...
Gabrielle, our guide, and the hall of King Francis I
The front "horseshoe" shape of Fontainebleau. Notice the light snow on the right...
Inscription of Francis I on hallways around the residence...
Claire and Thomas stop to chat about the tour...
Final sprint heat on the grounds of Fontainebleau after lunch...
Jill and Alex move to the front...
Group photo in front of the swan lake, filled with beautiful ducks and swans. (Not pictured: Randall, who was immediately attacked by a swan, hiss and all. He is OK. We think. And so is the swan. We think.)
Joshua strikes a pose in front of the long reflecting pond at Fontainebleau...
Luke plots his future rise to power...
Kelsey photo (or indeed any of these) could be on a PLU Wang center brochure for study abroad. Could this also be our photo contest winner??
Storm strikes a pose at Fontainebleau...
Alex being Alex...
Jill at Fontainebleau.
Allison's red coat made for the best photos!
Brendan showing off his PLU sportswear here. See his PLU logo opposite the Adidas...
------
In all, another great day in Europe-- Tomorrow, we visit the famous Pere-Lachaise cemetery and Musee d'Orsay, a famous collection of 19th century impressionist art from Paris.
Mike H.
No comments:
Post a Comment